The skills necessary to develop summaries or synthesis are considered as:
- functional, they can be acquired and then refined by experience and practice.
- transferable, they can be applied to a variety of professional occupations.
You can assess your ability to create a summary and synthesis works by performing the evaluation test below. This self-assessment test comprises of three steps:
- assessing your skills required to complete a summary or synthesis.
- confirming the skills you most enjoyed using.
- establishing the skills you want to learn/improve.
Step 1. Assess your level of proficiency for each skill below by circling the appropriate number in the right hand column. Assign a rating from 5 (above average) to 1(below average).
A total of less than 24 points means you need to improve your synthesis skills.
Step 2. Underline in the table below up to 10 skills you enjoy in your everyday activities, work or life. In the right most column give an example that best shows your use of the selected skill.
Step 3. Underline in the table below up to 10 skills you think you should improve or develop. In the right most column give an example in your opinion that best illustrates how to improve your selected skill.